It is the mission of Saint Joseph School to provide for the spiritual, intellectual and personal development of each student in faithfulness to the teachings of the Catholic Church. As an extension of the family, we seek to be a daily witness to the meaning of intellectual inquiry, mature faith and Christian living and, in doing so, call the children in our care to a greater understanding and participation in the life of Christ and the Christian community.
We offer more than simply a quality education for PreK through 8th grade students. We firmly believe in the development of the whole person--spiritual, physical, intellectual, and social. It is our hope to form all of our students to be responsible and generous citizens who serve their family, community and church. We do not discriminate, but accept students and their families as beloved sons and daughters of God regardless of religion, race, gender, or disability.
We believe in partnering with the parents and families of our students in ways that reflect the solidarity of the Body of Christ and offer students as many resources and tools for development as possible.
We have an amazing and dedicated faculty and staff who make many sacrifices in order to serve in a school where they have the freedom to pray with their students and share their faith in Christ! We are so proud of their dedication and service. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff if you have any questions or concerns about your child's education and progress.
The first German settlers arrived in Paris in 1818, bringing their Catholic faith to Arkansas. The children of those settlers began Saint Joseph School in 1873. The school had a humble beginning with one Catholic lay woman teaching children in the home of Vincent Stauss, located just west of Paris. In 1880, the first St. Joseph church was built. In the same year a one-room school house was constructed and the children were taught by Mr. Joseph Duerr. In 1889, the Benedictine Sisters of St. Scholastica Convent in Shoal Creek, Arkansas took over teaching at the school. Two new classrooms were built in 1968 to accommodate the increase in enrollment. A kindergarten was added in 1990. In 1993, an Endowment Fund was established to provide financial stability for the future. A Preschool program was then added in 1995. Beginning with the 2000-2001 school year, St. Joseph School began using the Montessori method for instruction in Preschool. This method continues to be used in Preschool through 1st Grade.